Pittsfield Glow Up! Business Improvement Grant Program (Applications are now closed)
The Pittsfield Glow Up! Business Improvement Grant Program is made possible by the American Rescue Plan Act and is facilitated by Downtown Pittsfield, Inc. (DPI) and the Pittsfield Economic Revitalization Corporation (PERC). Its purpose is to provide grants of up to $10,000 to eligible businesses affected by COVID-19 within ARPA’s disproportionately impacted district of Pittsfield. The grant funds are for physical improvements that will enhance the experience of foot traffic and create a visual vibrancy in the district.
Small businesses owned by low- to moderate-income individuals, women, minorities, immigrants, non-native English speakers, U.S. military veterans, disabled individuals, and members of the LGBTQ+ community are encouraged to apply.
See the map for the disproportionately impacted district of Pittsfield. Businesses that fall within any of the three highlighted areas on the map are included: 9001 – Downtown, 9002 – Morningside, and 9006 – Westside.
- Located in the disproportionately impacted district of Pittsfield, MA
- For-profit business
- In operation since January 2021
- Permissions granted by landlord or property owner
- Good standing with state and city
- Current on taxes
- Have valid state licenses and local permits
- Have no legal judgments or ligation involving the state or city
- Have no unresolved non-compliance status for previous assistance
Eligible Uses of Grant Funding
- Painting (interior and exterior)
- Signage (building or blade)
- Lighting Improvements (exterior or window)
- Flooring Replacement
- Entryway Upgrades
- Windows (replacement, washing)
- Awnings (new or replacements)
- Accessibility Improvements
- Select Interior Improvements or Repairs (Note that furniture, fixtures, and equipment are not eligible)
Details of Grant Funding
- Grant administered by reimbursement or two-party check
- Invoices submitted for payment must be dated after the grant agreement date
- Must comply with zoning regulations and ordinances
- Must be aligned with the city’s design guidelines for storefront improvements
- Grant must be used within 6 months of being awarded
Funds from this program may not be used for:
- General Promotion
- Real Estate
- Cannabis-related business
- Liquor Stores
- Weapons or Firearms Dealers
- Professional Sports Teams
- Privately owned recreation facilities
- Acquisition of land or property
- First round application of intent due by Tuesday, February 28, 2023 at 11:59 pm. To include:
- Description of proposed improvements
- Photos of the existing façade
- Narrative of COVID-19 impact on business
- DPI to review initial application of intent for complete information, general eligibility, and scope
- PERC to administer program by confirming eligibility and approving simple applications
- Expanded application will be required to include:
- Proposed styles for improvements such as lighting and/or signage and color scheme
- Cost and identification of all required permits, including documentation of permits which have already been received
- Total cost estimates from a licensed contractor. Design costs and permit fees may be included.
- A schedule for the proposed work to be completed.
- During the application review process, the City of Pittsfield will verify that all municipal fees and real estate taxes are paid up to date.
- All proposed work must be reviewed and approved by the program design review committee. Funds awarded for projects not commencing within six months of the date of award may be reallocated to other projects.
Any grant-related questions may be directed to Rebecca Brien, Managing Director of Downtown Pittsfield, Inc., at 413-443-6501 or email@example.com
Click here to complete the Glow Up! Grant Application Online via Google Forms.
Click here to download a PDF of the Glow Up! Grant Application!
Click here for a printable PDF of the information on this page.