First Church of Christ Congregational, 27 East Street

The First Church of Christ Congregational was built in 1853 at 27 East Street, the former location of the Bulfinch Church. The architect was Leopold Eidlitz of New York. Eidlitz used Gothic revival style in his design, which combines a high gable roof, twelve dormers, a large parish hall, a tower with quoins on its…

Details

First Agricultural Fair, Park Square

The first Agricultural Fair in the United States took place in 1810 on Park Square under Lucretia’s Old Elm Tree, now commonly referred to as the Pittsfield Elm. Farmer Elkanah Watson initially organized the Berkshire Agricultural Society, whose members would go on to host the America’s first agricultural fair which featured, among other things, several…

Details

West Block and Berkshire Bank, Corner of East Street and North Street

West Block was located where Berkshire Bank currently resides. The block was present from 1850-1894 where it was used for public gatherings that consisted of concerts, lectures, dances, short dramas, high school examinations, graduation exercises, and a drill room for the Allen Guard which was a local military company. Many of the soldiers from the…

Details

Berkshire Life Insurance Co., 7 North Street

The Berkshire Life Insurance Company building is located on 7 North Street. The building was erected in 1868 as the Berkshire Life Insurance Headquarters, but it was also used as a bank, post office, gas company, and other town offices. The architect was Louis Weibein of Boston who incorporated a mansard style to the building.…

Details

Berkshire Hotel, 7 North Street

The Berkshire House, or as it came to be named, the Berkshire Hotel was located on 7 North Street from 1827-1865. This area, known as the “Berkshire Corner”, was formerly the site of a large inn presided over from the late 1700s by, in sequence, Capt. John Dickinson, Darius Larned, Capt. Joseph Merrick, and the…

Details

Backus Building, Martin Building, and Wood Building, 4-32 Bank Row

Running from 4 to 32 Bank Row are the Backus, Martin, and Wood Buildings. The Backus Building, 4-8 Bank Row, was constructed by William G. Backus, who owned a stove and plumbers’ supply store. The roof originally was federal style, but that was changed in 1880 to make a third story with a flat roof. …

Details

South Congregational Church, 110 South Street

The South Congregational Church at 110 South Street was created in 1848 when the Bullfinch Church became too crowded. In 1850, when the church building was under construction, it caught fire and construction had to start over. The architect, Richard Bond of Boston, used reek Revival Style. The church was dedicated on November 4, 1850,…

Details

First Baptist Church, 60-74 North Street

The Onota Building currently occupies 60-74 North Street. Previously this site was the home of The First Baptist Church, which was first organized in 1772 by Valentine Wightman Rathbun, owner and operator of a woolen mill in Stonington Connecticut. In 1798 the pastor and a majority of the church joined the Shakers, causing the demise…

Details

Berkshire Trust Co, 50-54 North Street

In the early 1800s, Spencer Field’s Saloon was located on 50-54 North Street. In 1853 Geer Block was built on the site and in 1844 became the location for a business owned by H.D Davis, which eventually became the original Holden and Stone. In 1922 Berkshire Bank and Trust Co. reopened on this location. The…

Details

First Agricultural Bank, 100 North Street

The First Agricultural Bank building was built in 1908 at 100 North Street. The Greek temple-like building was the fourth home for the First Agricultural Bank. The bank was originally founded on April 27, 1818, after Berkshire Bank and Trust Co failed. Thomas Gold was the president of the bank with Ezekial Colt as the…

Details