Dunham’s Block, 76-90 North Street

The Dunham Block was built in 1861 on 76-90 North Street by James H. Dunham. The building was erected between The First Baptist Church and Fenn Street. The Dunham Block expanded in 1898 in order to accommodate the multiple businesses within the building, including New York Store, Root Shoes, Pharmer Jewelry Shop, Hub Restaurant, Kelsey’s…

Details

First Baptist Church, 88 South Street

The First Baptist Church was built in 1850 and was originally located on North Street. It was renovated in 1876, but then torn down in 1920 and moved to South Street; it is now located at 88 South Street. The church was dedicated at its South Street location on October 19, 1930, and the architect…

Details

Masonic Temple, 116 South Street

The Masonic Temple is located at 116 South Street. the building was built in Neo-Classical Revival style. The architect, Joseph McArthur Vance, used brick and white sandstone that was painted by Wade and Smith of Pittsfield. The contractors were Foote, Jones, and Lester. The original owner of the Masonic Temple was Pittsfield’s Mystic Lodge of…

Details

Congregational Church Parsonage, 120-124 South Street

The Congregational Church Parsonage was located at 120-124 South Street. Built in 1848, it was based on Greek Revival/Italianate architecture. The parsonage originally had a Victorian porch, but it was removed in the 20th century. The building is also commonly referred to as the Red Hen. The Red Hen won a Pittsfield Historic Preservation Award.…

Details

Rosa England’s Block, 122-130 North Street

Rosa England’s Block located at 122-130 North Street was erected in 1884 by Mr. Strong. Previously on this site from 1805-1808 Abner Stevens, a famous colonial drum maker, built a two-story wooden house with two wings where he lived with his family. Also within this building, Stevens ran the first store on North Street under…

Details

West-Platt-Mills Residences and Butler Block, 132-150 South Street

The West-Platt-Mills Residences (1876) was located at 132-150 South Street. It was erected by William Butler who was the founder of a local lumber company. The building was designed in a vernacular style of architecture, typical for the region, by Joseph McArthur Vance. Vance is also responsible for the varied designs of the Colonial Theatre,…

Details

City Savings Bank, 116 North Street

City Savings Bank was located on 116 North Street from 1906-1999. City Savings Bank was originally founded on April 13, 1890 by twenty-five residents. The first president was Francis W. Rockwell. James A. Burbank was responsible for making the first $1,000 deposit to the bank. By 1906 the bank had more than $1 million dollars…

Details

Wollison-Shipton Building, 146-154 North Street

The Wollison-Shipton Building was built in April of 1888 on 146-154 North Street by architect H. Neil Wilson. The building was constructed of Philadelphia pressed brick with dark freestone trim and cast iron detailing. When the building first opened it had four stores on the ground floor, the first home of the Y.M.C.A was located…

Details

Y.M.C.A Majestic/Palace Theatre, 132-144 North Street

From 1892-1909 132-144 North Street was home to the Y.M.C.A. In 1909 the Majestic Theatre was designed by architect Joseph McArthur Vance. The original owner of the Majestic Theatre was John Sullivan and Brothers. The Majestic Theatre opened on November 23, 1910 with the play called “The Deserters”. In 1923, Majestic Theatre changed its name…

Details

Museum Of Natural History and Art, 39 South Street

The Museum of Natural History and Art, now commonly known as The Berkshire Museum, was founded in 1902 by Zenas Marshall Crane, the grandson of the founder of Crane & Co. in Dalton. The Campbell House and the Martin House were torn down in order to make room for the museum, whose purpose was to…

Details