Egyptian Style Railroad, Corner of North Street and Columbus Ave

In May 1841 on the west side of the bridge located on North Street, an Egyptian-style railroad depot was built for the Western Railroad States. In November of 1854 the depot caught fire and was entirely destroyed. Another depot, one story high and made of wood, was built west of the old depot. In 1895…

Details

Martin House, 39 South Street

The Martin House was built in 1795 at 39 South St. by Calvin Martin, a prosperous lawyer in Pittsfield. Director of the Agricultural Bank, first president of the Cemetery Corporation (the association that created St. Joseph’s Cemetery), and secretary and treasurer of the Pittsfield Mutual Fire-Insurance Company. Also, in 1822, Martin was incorporated as a…

Details

Miller Building, 160-196 North Street Academy of Music, 158-198 North Street

The Academy of Music was built in 1872 on 160-196 North Street where the Miller Building now stands. The Miller Building is named after former Pittsfield Mayor and Berkshire Eagle publisher Kelton B. Miller. Before the construction of the Academy of Music, this site was home to Phineas Allen, founder of the former Pittsfield Sun…

Details

Burbank Block, 141-163 North Street

The Burbank Block was located on 123-133 and 141-163 North Street from 1856-1905 and was owned by Robert Burbank. He purchased the block from Lemuel Pomeroy. Previously to the Burbank Block the corner of this site was used for many famous politicians to address matters. Two of the famous politicians who spoke here are Franklin…

Details

Berkshire County Home for Aged Women, 89 South Street

The former Berkshire County Home for Aged Women, now known as Berkshire Place, is located on 89 South Street. The Berkshire County Home for Aged Women was built in 1888 by the Crane family of Dalton. After his death, Zenas Marshall Crane left money and instructions for his sons, Zenas and Winthrop, to build a…

Details

Colt-Pingree House, 101 South Street

The Colt-Pingree House, located at 101 South Street, was built in 1819 by Ezekiel R. Colt. Colt was the cashier of the Agricultural National Bank, Secretary of the Berkshire Agricultural Society (1823-24), a State Bank Commissioner, and a member of the party that escorted General Lafayette to Pittsfield in 1825. Colt’s daughter Catherine married Thomas…

Details

Berkshire Auto, 109 South Street

Berkshire Auto, located on 109 South Street, was opened in 1921 by Ralph O’Conner, who quickly found himself overseeing one of the first, and most prosperous garages in Pittsfield. O’Connor bought the building from Henry Dawes, Jr., the son of U.S Senator Henry Dawes, Sr. Henry Dawes Jr. was married to the daughter of Catherine…

Details

England Brothers, 89-111 North Street

The Ingersoll Tavern, which is famously known for being a part of Shay’s Rebellion 1786-1787 was located at 89-111 North Street in the 1780s. The Goodrich Block then took over this site in 1847. Ten years after the Goodrich Block opened, Louis and Moses England came from Germany and roomed at the famous Berkshire Hotel,…

Details

Kinnell-Kresge Building, 49-59 North Street

Another part of the Burbank Block was built in 1842 on 49-59 North Street. In 1862 the roof collapsed due to heavy snow, killing two people. After the building was razed, in 1918 the Kinnell-Kresge Building was built on this site. The architect was Joseph McArthur Vance, who also designed many other buildings downtown. The…

Details

Colonial Theatre, 113 South Street

The Colonial Theatre, a Gilded Age theater located at 113 South Street, hosted many notable performers from its opening day on September 28, 1903 through 1934, when it closed for the first time. The original owners, the Sullivan Brothers, commissioned the well known architects Joseph McArthur Vance and J.B. McElfatrick to design the ornate structure.…

Details