Central Block, 65-83 North Street

Central Block 65-83 North Street is a part of what was once known as Burbank Block, which was built in 1842. Following Burbank Block at this location was the Weller Building from 1857-1881. Grand Central Hall was built after the Weller Building burned down, but the name was eventually shortened to Central Block. Central Block…

Details

West-Sampson- Withington Residences, 157-169 South Street

The current location of Rite Aid Pharmacy and the South Street Apartments was formerly the home of Dr. Alfreda Withington, the first woman member of the Massachusetts Medical Society, Berkshire County Branch.. Dr. Withington was the only medical doctor listed on the chapter roll in 1897. She moved to 163 South Street in 1910. Nearby,…

Details

Bush Block, 15-23 North Street

Bush Block was built on 15-23 North Street in 1859. Before the Bush Block in 1825, this site was used by Phineas Allen to publish The Pittsfield Sun. The Bush Block was erected by Major Charles Bush, who employed Timothy Chapman to construct the building on the former site of an old cottage. In 1859,…

Details

Kennedy Block, 23-35 North Street

The Callendar Block was built in 1827 on 23-35 North Street. In 1914 the block burned down and the Kennedy Block was erected on the site. There were many businesses located in Kennedy’s Block from 1914-1979 including Mr. Nathan’s Shoes, Beba (a women’s boutique store), Fanny Famous Chocolate, and Sammy Vincent Records. The Kennedy Block…

Details