The Berkshire County’s Courthouse was built in 1871 on the former site of the Peace Party House at 76 East Street. The Massachusetts State Legislature approved the move from Lenox to Pittsfield in 1868 setting the stage for the construction of the Berkshire County Courthouse. The building was constructed from marble from a nearby quarry in Stockbridge, and was designed by architect Louis Weibein of Boston, who distinguished his design by adding Italianate detailing, round-top windows, and marble medallions. Contractors were A.B. & D.C. Munyan Company. In 1952 two jury deliberation rooms and the cloak room were renovated with additional modernizations, including accessibility, undertaken in recent years. The Berkshire County Courthouse was renamed the Silvio O. Conte Courthouse on September 27, 1992 in honor of Rep. Conte, one of the most influential figures in the U.S. Congress. The entire Berkshire County Court complex is named after Francis Joseph Quirco who was a justice on the state Supreme Judicial Court.