In the 1820s, Dr. J.P Batchelder from Castleton, VT encouraged Pittsfield physician Henry Halsey Childs to open a medical school in Pittsfield. Dr. Childs, Dr. Asa Burbank of Lanesborough, and Dr. Daniels Collins of Lenox asked the Massachusetts Legislature for a charter and an endowment. On January 4, 1823, Governor Brooks signed the act, but did not pass an endowment. That same year, the Berkshire Medical Institute took over the old Pittsfield Hotel which stood to the east of St. Stephen’s Church and twenty-two students joined five faculty members in the study of anatomy, physiology, chemistry, physic (medicine), pharmacology, surgery, midwifery, and medical law. In 1830 the institution graduated twenty-four medical students, but because the institution never received financial support from the state, it was constantly in debt. On February 5, 1850, some of the facilities burned down and the institution was forced to close. With a $10,000 grant from the state and an additional $5,000 donated by Berkshire citizens, the school was able to move to South Street until 1867 when lack of enrollment closed it permanently. In its 30- plus years of operation, the institution produced 1,138 graduates.