From 1793-1851 the Bulfinch Church was located at 27 East Street, the current site of the First Congregational Church. Charles Bulfinch, one of this nation’s first and most famous architects, designed the church that bore his name. He also, and more famously, designed the Massachusetts and Maine state house buildings, the University Hall at Harvard, the Bulfinch Building at Massachusetts General Hospital, and the Massachusetts State Prison. His most notable commission occurred when then President James Monroe tapped him to design repairs and improvements to the wings and central portion of the Capitol building in Washington, D.C., after it was damaged by the British in 1814. The original structure of Pittsfield’s Bulfinch Church had an open cupola belfry, which was one of the first of its kind in New England. Plans originally called for The Bulfinch Church to serve as a meeting house, but the town instead built on John Chandler Williams’ land (See page 24). The Berkshire Agricultural Society held many exhibits in Bulfinch Church. In 1851 there was a damaging fire, but Henry W. Seaver of Harding & Seaver performed the necessary restoration of the building. Soon after the fire it was sold and moved to the Maplewood Girls Institute. In 1939, deemed a fire hazard, the Bullfinch Church was razed. The First Church of Christ Congregational was built in the location of the Bulfinch Church in 1853.