The Peace Party House, site of a famous celebration of American independence, stood at 76 East Street from 1773-1869, immediately in front of where Berkshire Superior Courthouse stands today. The house was originally built for Col. James Easton, a hero of the capture of Fort Ticonderoga, but Easton’s financial difficulties enabled him to finish only the first floor before selling the building. John Chandler Williams purchased the house in 1782. The Treaty of Paris was signed on September 3, 1783 and this marked the end of the American Revolutionary War. Citizens of Pittsfield heard of the long-awaited new and gathered to celebrate in November and from then on, it was known as the Peace Party House. The festivities included roasted ox flanked by geese and turkey, accompanied by much merriment, dancing, and music. In 1869 the Peace Party House moved to 1 Wendell Avenue. There were many owners after Williams, but by 1956 the City of Pittsfield owned the house, until it was razed in 1957.