The first meeting to start the St. Stephen’s Episcopal Church was organized by Edward A. Newton on June 25, 1830 at Lemuel Pomeroy’s Coffee House. Newton was a former Christian missionary, President of the First Agricultural Bank, and trustee of Williams College. Major Thomas Melville, Jr. was chosen chairman and Daniel D. Bush was chosen clerk. The name St. Stephen’s was selected to honor the Rev. Stephen Higginson Tyng, a clergyman and friend of Newton and the author of several volumes of sermons and other books. Before St. Stephen’s Church was built in 1832, the “Lecture Room” at a nearby church was used for services. The St. Stephen’s organization decided where they wanted the church to be built and Pomeroy offered $500 for the plot where the church now stands. At the time the property was occupied by the town hall. The town refused this first offer, but Pomeroy then offered to build the town a new hall on adjacent property at his own expense. The town accepted this offer and St. Stephen’s was built in 1832 at 67 East Street, predominantly of dark-toned limestone from Pittsfield; Sixty-seven feet long and forty-three feet wide, it had an eighty foot wooden tower and a $569 organ built by Goodrich of Boston that was donated by Lucretia Williams. The church was consecrated on December 7, 1832, by Rt. Rev. Alexander V. Griswold who was the bishop of Eastern Diocese at the time. During the renovations from 1851-52 the church’s wooden tower was replaced by one made of stone and the church made bigger. In 1887, the parish decided to build a new church, parishioners initially offered the site of the church back to the city for $25,000. However, it was then decided that there was no better place to build a church so they decided to rebuild on the same site.