St. Stephen’s Episcopal Church was rebuilt in 1889 on the church’s original site in order to open access up to Allen Street. To hold services, after the first church was razed and before the new one was completed, a wooden chapel was built on the rear lot. The new church was designed by Peabody and Stearns of Boston and the contractors were Hascall Dodge & D.C. Bedell. The English-style architecture utilized Longmeadow brown sandstone and sports a 72-foot-tall tower. Five of the windows were designed by famed female stained-glass artist Mary Elizabeth Tillinghast and the other six were made by the well known Louis Comfort Tiffany (son of Tiffany & Co.). All the debt of the church was paid off by November 12, 1892. On November 19, 1892 the church was consecrated by the Rt. Rev. Phillips Brooks, then the Bishop of Massachusetts. In 1999, a grant from Massachusetts Historical Commission and a capital fund drive helped the church perform badly needed repairs on the more than a century-old building.