The Town Hall was built in 1832 at 43 East Street by Lemuel Pomeroy, a wealthy textile manufacturer. The building was a two-story plain brick building with offices on the second floor and vaults, containing records dating back to 1761 in the basement. The first floor had offices that were used by local men and also Henry Dawes who eventually became a U.S Senator. Other well known visitors were Henry Clay, who represented Kentucky in the Senate and House of Representatives, Henry Shaw, a Massachusetts representative, and George Nixon Briggs, the governor at the time of his visit. Over the years, the building served many uses including a post office, bank, site of religious services, and the county courthouse before Berkshire County Courthouse opened in 1871. The Berkshire County Agricultural Society also used it to present exhibits, and soldiers were recruited for the Civil War in this building. The major drawback to the building was its 500-person limit in a community of 2,000 registered voters.
When Pittsfield officially became a city in 1891, the Town Hall became City Hall. City Hall was still too small and dangerous, fording the relocation of many municipal employees into the old police station in 1940. Finally, the building inspector ruled out renovation in 1952, saying the old building would not withstand it. Mayor Remo DelGallo got the Massachusetts Legislature to support the opening of a new city hall. City Hall opened on Allen Street in 1968. Later, Berkshire County Savings Bank took over the original Town Hall building and restored it.